Contractors License in Louisiana

To do construction work in Louisiana you need to be licensed by the State Licensing Board for Contractors.

Louisiana -  National NASCLA

How to Obtain a Contractor License in Louisiana

There are two steps in getting licensed as residential or commercial building contractor in the State of Louisiana:

To obtain a license as commercial or residential building contractor for Louisiana, there are two steps;

  1. Complete and send in an application to the State Licensing Board for Contractors. Also send in any supporting documents along with the application. To receive an application, contact the State of Louisiana by the following:

Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors

       2. After you submit your application, you will receive a notice or examination scheduling date or your exam. You must pass the Business and Law exam, as well as the Trade exam for the specific license you are seeking.

A construction project that totals $50,000 or more must be only performed by a contractor who is licensed, even the homeowners as themselves. There are no restrictions when it comes to a homeowner applying or licensure to be a contractor. For more information, click the following link: Louisiana Informational Brochure

Can You Use an Open Book for the Louisiana Licensing Exam?

Yes - you can for the LA Business Law.  When you register with the board, they sell you the book and you can take the exam at home.

Commercial and Residental Technical exams - No, you can’t use open book. The state agency for testing doesn’t allow any reference books inside the examination area.  

HOWEVER - if you take the NATIONAL NASCLA Exam IS an open book exam!  NASCLA is accepted in LA for Residential and Commercial work.  We offer the NASCLA exam prep  class live weekly or online prerecorded.

Contractor Continued Education: Is it Required in Louisiana?

You need to finish six hours each year to renew your Contractor License or the state of Louisiana. The date that this must be done by is December 31st. This has actually been an increase from hours to six hours each year, as of January 2012.

As of February 2012, continuing education is not required for contractors who hold Commercial licenses in the following classifications:

Continuing education has not been required for contractors who have commercial licenses as of February 2012 for the following classifications:

  • Highway, Bridge and Street Construction
  • Building Construction
  • Public Works and Municipal Construction

For more information, you can view the Contractor News Source Bulletin for February 2012.

Louisiana License: What if I Don’t Renew my License by the Renewal Date?

There will be a delinquent penalty totaling $50 for a late renewal of Residential and Commercial licenses, and can be assessed 15 days after the expiration date.

If you fail to renew your license within six months after your renewal date, it can result  in a forfeiture of renewal rights, which means you will have to start over again.

How to Show Completion of Annual Continued Education to State of Louisiana

Mail in a copy of your Certificate of Completion to the following address:

State Licensing Board for Contractors

NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor: Is the License Accepted in Louisiana?

The NASCLA-Accredited Exam will replace the Trades exam for those who are commercial contractors.

The NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractors exam is accepted for all 12 of the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Arizona, Oregon, Nevada and Virginia. This means when you pass one exam, you will receive a license to perform commercial work in each of those above states. Most states have a requirement to pass the Business and Law exam for the specific state. However, you won’t have to pass a separate Commercial Trades exam.

After you pass the NASCLA Accredited Exam for Commercial General Building Contractors, you will be shown on the list of the NASCLA National Exam Database. The information will then be available after you apply within any state that will accept it. Depending on the state, you may be required to take a specific exam specific to the business/law/project management exam, as well as the NASCLA exam.

Residential Work With a Louisiana Commercial License

Yes, you can. The Building Construction (Commercial) licensure will cover numerous classifications, such as residential. If you have 2+ homes under a contract, at any time, you will be required to have a commercial license.  However, that commercial exam is closed book.  We recommend the National NASCLA exam because it is open book and accepted in 12 states.

Louisiana Contractor’s License: How to Get It

There are application packets that you need to complete the instructions for, and they can be found on the website for the state of Louisiana. The applications need to be downloaded from the website. You may also request an application to be sent in the mail.

The Timeframe for NASCLA Exam Prep Course

  • Expect 12-24 hours for the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor Course.

General Contractor (Commercial Contractor) License: Does Louisiana Require it?





The Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors recently promulgated rules to simplify and streamline the application, examination and renewal processes for licensed contractors and those seeking to become licensed contractors.  Changes made in this regard include the following.

  1. Insurance documents required for residential builders and residential specialty subcontractors, mold remediation contractors, and home improvement registrants will be collected at application and renewal time only, with contractors certifying that they will maintain continuous coverage while licensed/registered. 

  2. Residential building contractors will continue to be required to meet the continuing education requirement of 6 hours per year, but will no longer be required to submit continuing education certificates to this office.  The contractor will maintain their education certificates for a five-year period and provide copies to this office if requested.  Contractors will certify at application and renewal time that they have complied with this requirement. 

  3. Employees applying to be the Qualifying Party for a contractor will no longer be required to provide copies of payroll documents/payroll checks as evidence of employment. However, the Qualifier/Employee will be required to sign a legal affidavit, along with their employer, that they meet the 120-day mandated employment requirement.

  4. Every licensed contractor must have a minimum of one qualifying party designated as the qualifier for the Business and Law examination.  The Business and Law exam will be transitioned from an online “pass or fail” test to an online course which qualifiers will be required to complete.  This transition for fairness and less burdensome for the applicant is scheduled for the first quarter of 2019. 

If we can answer any questions or be of further assistance, please contact us



powered by BirdEye
powered by BirdEye