Contractors License in Nevada

Each individual and business who alters or constructs a excavation, railroad, parking facility, road, highway, building, or any other type of structure within the state of Nevada will need to hold a license from Nevada State Contractors Board. Subcontractors and contractors, as well as specialty contractors are required to hold a license before submitting any type of bids.

Nevada -  Construction Management Survey National NASCLA

You must be licensed to bid or work on construction jobs in Nevada.

Nevada Classifications for Contractor Licensing

Three Classifications for Nevada Licensure:

  • Class A – General Engineering Contractor.  A principal business that is connected to fixing work, and is specialized in engineering skill and knowledge.
  • Class B – General Building Contractor.  A principal business that has connection to the remodeling or construction of structures or buildings for enclosure, shelter, or support of chattels, animals, or people that has a requirement within the construction.
  • Class C – Specialty Contractor.  There are 36 Primary C, different skills, as well as principal contracting businesses that involve the use of specialized crafts or business trades. For a description of each classification, you can find it within the Nevada State Contractor Board Website.

How to Obtain a Nevada Contractor License

To obtain a Nevada Contractor License, you must follow the below steps:

Get an Contractor License application from any office regarding Nevada State Contractors Board. You can also get one via online at You will then need to turn in the following along with your application:

  • Processing and Application fee- $300
  • Four (minimum) reference certificates, which must be notarized, for each trade.
  • Background disclosure and financial statement
  • Resume for Experience form
    1. Send to:  Southern Nevada
    2. Alternative:  Northern Nevada

After your application is approved, you will then need to:

  • Pass the Law and Business Construction Management survey Exam, as well as Trade Exams.
  • Before you obtain your license, you must register with the Residential Recovery Fund, as well as pay an assessed Residential Recovery Fund Fee, or you can also complete a certificate of exemption.
  • Send in proof of compliance with Workers’ Compensation Insurance.
  • Send in your required license bond and include the amount that is shown on your letter of approval.
  • Send in a fee of $600. This is a biennial licensure fee.

Experience, Exam, or Education Requirements: Are There Any for a Contractor License Within Nevada?

No, there are not any education requirements that you will have to meet to obtain a contractor license.

Yes, each individual who qualifies for a contractor license will be required to pass a Law and Business written exam. They will also need to pass a trade examination that will cover the specific trade they are applying with. After experience has been validated, there will be an Exam Eligibility Letter that will be mailed out. There is a link that is available on the Boards website for the Candidate Information Bulletin, and it has information regarding the exams.

Yes, each individual must have four years of experience, the minimum, in order to qualify. Credit is only given for any experience related to a journeyman level, contractor, supervising employee, or foreman. The certificates for reference can be found on pages 22-25 of the application. The resume of experience form is where you can write down the details of all the work you performed and the type of tasks, crafts, duties, trades, and projects that you performed, which will be on page 26 of the application. Any training that was completed at a university or accredited college or even an equivalent program that is accepted by the board may be eligible to use less than 3 years of experience. You will be required to show proof of written documents of ay education or training if you had that instead of hands-on experience.

Contractor Continued Education: Is it a Requirement Within the State of Nevada?

No, continued education isn’t a requirement.

A contractor’s license is initially issued for a two-year period.  It will expire two years from the last day of the month in which it was issued.  Licenses are renewed every two years.

Check with county and local municipalities for additional regulations.

Is the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor license accepted in Nevada? NASCLA Commercial Contractor License: Is This Accredited Licensed Accepted Within Nevada?

YES!  We have that Class every Saturday via Live Webinar

General Contractor, Commercial Contractor License: Does the State of Nevada Require This?

Yes - And the NASCLA is accepted in 15 states.

Check with your local and county municipalities for further regulations.

Does Nevada Have Reciprocity With Any Other States?

No. Although, Nevada does have reciprocal agreements with states of Utah, California, and Arizona and they are related to only the trade exam. Other application requirements will be required to be completed. The following requirements are required:

  • The qualifier or licensee will have a requirement to pass the management exam successfully for Nevada.
  • The qualifier or licensee will need to show some proof of their license within the state that they are doing the out-of-state verification, and that can be found within the application package.
  • The qualifier or licensee will need to have passed the equivalent trade exam within the state.
  • The qualifier or licensee will need to have had an active license within good standing in their state that they lived in for the last 5-7 years.


A general building contractor is a contractor whose principal contracting business is in connection with the construction or remodeling of buildings or structures for the support, shelter and enclosure of persons, animals, chattels or movable property of any kind, requiring in their construction the use of more than two unrelated building trades or crafts, upon which he is a prime contractor and where the construction or remodeling of a building is the primary purpose. Unless he holds the appropriate specialty license, a general building contractor may only contract to perform specialty contracting if he is a prime contractor on a project. A general building contractor shall not perform specialty contracting in plumbing, electrical, refrigeration and air-conditioning or fire protection without a license for the specialty. A person who exclusively constructs or repairs mobile homes, manufactured homes or commercial coaches is not a general building contractor. 

  • # of Questions: 80
  • Minimum Passing Score: 56
  • Time Allowed: 3 hours


Subject Area # of Items
Site work 6
Concrete 12
Masonry 6
Metals 12
Carpentry 7
Thermal and Moisture Protection 9
Doors and Windows 4
Drywall and Finishes 4
Safety 5
Plan Reading and Estimating 12
Nevada One Call 3


The construction and remodeling of houses and other structures which support, shelter or enclose persons or animals or other chattels, and which do not extend more than three stories above the ground and one story below the ground.

  • # of Questions: 80
  • Minimum Passing Score: 56
  • Time Allowed: 3 hours


Subject Area # of Items
Site work 4
Concrete 10
Masonry 10
Metals 10
Carpentry 12
Thermal and Moisture Protection 9
Doors and Windows 3
Drywall and Finishes 4
Safety 5
General Code, Plan Reading and Estimating 10
Nevada One Call 3

Where can I get the books?

In our Bookstore



powered by BirdEye
powered by BirdEye