Thinking about taking the National NASCLA Commercial Builder Exam? Learn more about the exam and our services at our FREE Open House! Register Here


Utah Contractor License Courses, Classes & Exam Prep

Jump to a specific page - are you interested in:


Obtaining A Contractor's License In Utah

Welcome to Utah! Construction work in Utah requires that you have a license, and to be licensed, you will have to have some verifiable experience and pass a couple of exams. The board of contractors in Utah is the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL). DOPL requires you to take a 25-hour pre-license course as well as a Business Law exam to make sure you understand the laws of doing business in the state of Utah. Passing the exam is required before you submit an application. 

Registration can be done online at PSI's website, linked here.  The exams are taken at any of the locations for PSI testing. The locations are Sunset, Salt Lake City, North Salt Lake City, North Orem, or Hurrican. For more information on PSI in the state of Utah, click here.

At Contractor Training Center, we have an extremely high first-time pass rate for the NASCLA and Utah Business Law exams. 

The NASCLA Exam is accepted for both residential and commercial work in the state of Utah and is also accepted in 15 other states for the technical exam requirement for obtaining license. The NASCLA exam is totally open-book and 

Once you have successfully passed your exams, you will be required to send the passing score, the application for licensure, and your documentation of work experience to Utah DOPL. The packet for the license application, as well as the instructions for completion of the application, will be included with the course. 

You can visit the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) Website for more information regarding applications.

You will need to send the application in person to the office.


Requirements for Obtaining a Utah Contractor's License:

You will need to take the Business and Law Exam from Utah. The Utah Business and Law Exam requirement can only be waived when the qualifying individual has already passed the exam.

Experience Requirements

An applicant will be required to meet specific experience requirements to obtain licensure. These may vary depending on the license specialty the applicant is choosing.

Liability Insurance Coverage

Each contractor will need to obtain continuous liability insurance. Each contractor will need to report their insurance provider, aggregate coverage in excess of $300,000, expiration date, and policy number on the renewal form.

Workers Compensation

Each contractor will need to carry a workers’ compensation insurance for each employee and certain owner-workers. You will need to report your provider's expiration date, policy number, and name right on the renewal form.

Owner-Worker Classification

The Utah law has a new requirement that specific contractors will need to provide added information when they apply for a license. The entities, other than publicly traded companies or corporations that have owners who are actively engaging in the construction activities for the licensed contractor or who own less than eight percent of a licensed entity will need to provide added reporting to the DOPl, as well as ensure each owner-work will be covered by workers compensation insurance, as well as unemployment insurance.

For additional licensing requirement information, check the Utah Department of Commerce Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing website.


Business and Law Examination


You must pass this examination in addition to passing your trade-specific examination.

  • # of Questions: 60
  • Minimum Passing Score: 70%
  • Time Allowed: 2 Hours


Subject Area# of Items
Business Organizations4
Estimating and Bidding6
Contract Management6
Project Management5
Labor Laws6
Lien Laws3
Financial Management6
Risk Management5
Tax Laws5



Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, it is. Within the past 10 years, a minimum of two years with full-time experience will be required. If a contractor is seeking licensure for a small commercial building, residential, or general, one of the two years of full-time experience will need to be in a managerial or supervisory position.


Contractors:  Each contractor will need six hours for each licensing cycle, and three of them will need to be “core” courses, as well as three will need to be either core or professional. The licensing cycle will end on November 30th for the odd years.

Plumbers:  Plumbers will need twelve hours of continuing education for a licensing period. They will also need eight hours for core education. The remaining four can be used if core or professional related. The licensure cycle will end on November 30th of each even year.

Electricians:  Electricians need 16 hours of continued education for each license period. They will also need twelve hours for core education. The remaining four hours can either be core or professional related. The licensure cycle will end on November 30th for each even year.

Each renewal won’t be permitted until the Continued Education has been completed and uploaded in the registry by the Utah state. Go to the following for more information:

You will need to choose CE courses in which are approved by the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing. Each Builder License Training Institute course will need to be approved. The student completion result will be reported daily to Utah State. It will take approximately 24-48 hours for results to appear on the DOPL website.

We will submit the completed results to DOPL and provide you with the Certificate of Completion to keep with your records. We will keep your records on file at no extra charge.

Liquid error (layout/theme line 226): Could not find asset snippets/jsonld-for-seo.liquid