Contractors License in Utah

Welcome to Utah! Construction work in Utah requires that you have a license and to be licensed you will have to have some verifiable experience and pass a couple of exams. The board of contractors in Utah is the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL). DOPL requires you to take a 25 hour pre-license course, a Business Law exam to make sure you understand the laws of doing business in the state of Utah and you must also pass a technical exam to show that you have the skills to perform the type of work that you want to do. Passing both exams is required BEFORE you submit an application. PSI is the testing facility for the state of Utah and the exams are taken in person at one of the state locations. Registration can be done online at or by phone at 800-733-9267 or the registration can be submitted by mail. We have found the online registration to be the most efficient.  The exams are taken at any of the locations for PSI testing. The locations are Sunset, Salt Lake City, North Salt Lake City, North Orem, or Hurrican. For more information on PSI in the state of Utah, click here.

At Contractor Training Center we have an extremely high first-time pass rate. Some states allow OPEN BOOK testing and some do not. Utah allows for partial open book testing. If you are interested in obtaining the Utah B-100 General Building Contractor License or the Utah R-100 Residential and Small Commercial Contractor License, then we strongly recommend that you apply for the NASCLA designation instead. The NASCLA License will cover you for any residential or commercial work in the state of Utah and is also accepted in 15 states for the technical side of your license. The NASCLA exam is totally OPEN BOOK and tabbing and highlighting the books is allowed and part of our curriculum. Because this exam is open book and the B-100 and the R-100 are mostly closed book, we only offer the NASCLA in Utah. The NASCLA designation exempts you from having to take the B-100 or the R-100. The only major difference in qualification is that you must be able to show 4 years of experience instead of 2. 

Once  you have successfully passed your exams, you will be required to send the passing score, the application for licensure, and your documentation of work experience to Utah State. The packet for the license application, as well as the instructions for completion of the application will be included with the course. The application will have to be sent to the following:

Utah - Utah Business Management and Law Exam | Utah NASCLA Contractor License Exam


You can visit the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) Website for more information regarding applications.

You will need to send in the application in person to the office.

Utah License: Requirements:

You will need to take the Business and Law Exam from Utah. The Utah Business and Law Exam requirement can only be waived when the qualifying individual has already previously passed the exam.

Requirements for Experience

An applicant will be required to meet specific experience requirements in order to obtain licensure.

Over the previous 10 years, there has been a minimum of two years of full-time experience within the field, one year that has been in a managerial or managerial position for each applicant of the following classifications of contractors:

B100 – General Building

E100 – General Engineering

R100 – Residential and Small Commercial

Over the previous 10 years, there has been a minimum of two years of full-time experience within the field for each applicant of the classifications for the following contractors: 
S370 – Fire Suppression

S360 – Refrigeration

S350 – Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning

S320 – Steel Erection

S290 – General Masonry

S220 – Carpentry

Over the past 10 years, there has been a minimum of two years of full-time experience within the field for applicants of all other classifications for contractors that are not listed above, excluding plumbing and electrical.

Liability Insurance Coverage

Each contractor will need to obtain continuous liability insurance. Each contractor will need to report their insurance provider, aggregate coverage in excess of $300,00, expiration date, and policy number on the renewal form.

Workers Compensation

Each contractor will need to carry a workers’ compensation insurance for each employee, as well as certain owner-workers. You will need to report the expiration date, policy number, and name of your provider right on the renewal form.

Owner-Worker Classification

The Utah law has a new requirement that specific contractors will need to provide added information when they apply for a license. The entities, other than publicly traded companies or corporations that have owners who are actively engaging in the construction activities for the licensed contractor or who own less than eight percent of a licensed entity will need to provide added reporting to the DOPl, as well as ensure each owner-work will be covered by workers compensation insurance, as well as unemployment insurance.

For additional licensing requirement information, check the the Utah website, or R156-55a-302b. Qualifications for Licensure – Experience Requirements.

License in Utah: Is Work Experience Required?

Yes, it is. Within the past 10 years, a minimum of two years with full-time experience will be required. If a contractor is seeking licensure for small commercial building, residential, or general, one of the two years of the full-time experience will need to be in managerial or supervisory position.

For futher information, check the Utah website regarding R156-55a-302b. Qualifications for Licensure – Experience Requirements.

Contractor Continuing Education: Does Utah Require This?


Contractors:  Each contractor will need six hours for each licensing cycle, and three of them will need to be “core” courses, as well as three will need to be either core or professional. The licensing cycle will end November 30th for the odd years

Plumbers:  Plumbers will need twelve hours of continuing education for a licensing period. They will also need eight hours for core education. The remaining four can be used if core or professional related. The licensure cycle will end on November 30th of each even year.

Electricians:  Electricians need 16 hours of continued education for each license period. They will also need twelve hours for core education. The remaining four hours can either be core or professional related. The licensure cycle will end on November 30th for each even year.

Each renewal won’t be permitted until the Continued Education has been completed, as well as uploaded in the registry by the Utah state. Go to the following for more information:

You will need to choose CE courses in which are approved by Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing. Each Builder License Training Institute course will need to be approved. The student completion result will be reported daily to Utah State. It will take approximately 24-48 hours for results to appear on the DOPL web site.

We will submit the completed results to DOPL, as well as provide you with the Certificate of Completion to keep with your records. We will keep your records on file at no extra charge.

You must pass this examination in addition to passing your trade-specific examination.

  • # of Questions: 60
  • Minimum Passing Score: 70%
  • Time Allowed: 2 Hours


Subject Area # of Items
Business Organizations 4
Licensing 10
Estimating and Bidding 6
Contract Management 6
Project Management 5
Labor Laws 6
Lien Laws 3
Financial Management 6
Risk Management 5
Tax Laws 5
Safety 4

Where can I get the books?  In our Utah Book Store

powered by BirdEye
powered by BirdEye