South Carolina Limited Contractor Exam Prep Course
SC Limited Contractor Exam Prep Course
Online Pre-Recorded Course $249 / Live-in Class or Webinar $349
Exam Prep Class:
This class will prepare you to take the South Carolina Limited Contractor Licensing Exam. This is for building one and two- family homes or one-family townhouses not over three stories high, and multi-family or multi-use light commercial buildings, structures and accessory buildings. We cover all the material that you can bring into the exam. We review all the areas of the test that you are expected to be familiar with and we tab and highlight the areas of the manuals so that you can find the material in the books quickly and efficiently in the exam. We coach you on the logic for how to navigate the test, how to review the questions, quickly recognize the book to reference and how to hone in on the section to validate the right answers. (There is a logic to how to properly manage the test.)
Class Days and Times:
You can register online or call us at 804-556-5518
Contractor License Requirements:
To apply for your Commercial Contractors License in South Carolina you must do the following:
INITIAL APPLICATION –
- You are required to pass the both the technical exam for the designation you are applying for as well as the South Carolina Business, Law and Project Management exam. (needs to be linked to SC Business)
- Fill out the General & Mechanical Contractor’s License Application this link and attached 8-page document provides all the required information: http://www.llr.state.sc.us/POL/Contractors/Forms/DOC165.pdf
- Submit a financial statement; refer to the link above to determine the correct format for submitting your financial information.
- Along with the application and financial statement include the appropriate fee as listed on the application form.
- Outline your work experience: Submit 2 years of HANDS-ON "in the field" work experience within the past 5 years as a full-time employee in the field you are requesting. Only commercial work experience is accepted, except for the Interior Renovation classification that can be commercial and/or residential experience. If you are in a supervisory position, submit hands-on work you supervise employees doing in the field you are applying.
Exam and Application:
You have 300 minutes to complete the exam, there are 80 questions and you are required to answer 56 correctly to pass the exam. The Subject Area for the exam covers:
- Site-work – 7 questions
- Concrete – 10 questions
- Metals – 10 questions
- Masonry – 10 questions
- Carpentry – 12 questions
- Thermal and Moisture Protection – 9 questions
- Doors and Windows – 2 questions
- Finishes – 2 questions
- Safety – 5 questions
- General Code, Plan Reading and Estimating – 13 questions
Books and Study Material:
In addition to the workbook and Sample Question and Answer practice test and Tabs for each book that we produce and supply (tabs sold separately), the following books are used in preparation for the open book test:
You will need to order the SC Limited Book Bundle
The following reference material is allowed in the South Carolina (Limited) Building Contractor examination center:
- South Carolina International Building Code - OR International Building Code, 2015 edition (We use the IBC 2015 edition)
- Code of Federal Regulations - 29 CFR Part 1926 (OSHA), with latest available amendments
- Modern Masonry - Brick, Block, Stone, Clois E. Kicklighter, 7th edition (2010)
- Technical Digest No. 9 – Handling and Erection of Steel Joists and Joist Girders, 3rd Edition
- Carpentry and Building Construction, 2010 or 2016 (Student Edition)
- Roofing Construction and Estimating, 1995
- Contractor's Guide to Quality Concrete Construction, 2nd Edition, 1998
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting, 2011
You Can Purchase the Book Bundle Here: SC Limited Book Bundle
The South Carolina Business, Law and Project Management for Commercial Contractors exam is required by the South Carolina Board for Contractors in addition to the specialty exam.
The NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractors licensing exam offers a unique benefit.
In addition to qualifying you as a Commercial General Building Contractor in the state of South Carolina the NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractors Exam qualifies you to become licensed in thirteen states and one territory (South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana , Arkansas, West Virginia, Nevada, Utah, Oregon and the Virgin Islands) and more states are in process of accepting it soon.
To get more information on the South Carolina Contractors Licensing Exam requirements for Commercial and Residential Contractors visit our South Carolina information page here - SC License Page