South Carolina Residential Builder Licensing Exam Course
South Carolina Residential Builder Licensing Exam
Online Pre-Recorded Course $249 / Live-in Class or Webinar $349
Exam Prep Class:
This class will prepare you to take the South Carolina Residential Builder Licensing Exam. We cover all the material that you can bring into the exam. We review all the areas of the test that you are expected to be familiar with and we tab and highlight the areas of the manuals so that you can find the material in the books quickly and efficiently in the exam. We coach you on the logic for how to navigate the test, how to review the questions, quickly recognize the book to reference and how to hone in on the section to validate the right answers. (There is a logic to how to properly manage the test.)
We recommend that once you have gone through the course, highlighted and tabbed the books - that you review the Q&A material often enough that you readily know what book and what section of the book you're looking for based on the question you're reviewing. (That's when you know you are ready for the exam).
This prep course is available in three options: Pre-Recorded, Live In-Class, and Live Webinar.
The online pre-recorded content is also included with the purchase of any live course to serve as a follow-up study material. Pre-Recorded content includes highlighting instructions and practice exam questions for each book.
Pre-Recorded classes are available to you immediately upon purchase and can be completed at your own time and pace.
Live Classes are a one-day intensive prep course, held on:
Thursdays 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Contractor License Requirements:
To apply for your SC Residential Contractors License in South Carolina you must do the following:
INITIAL APPLICATION – Steps:
- You are required to pass both the technical exam for the designation you are applying for as well as the South Carolina Business Management And Law For Residential Builders Examination (needs to be linked to SC Business)
- Fill out the South Carolina Residential Builders Commission License Application this link and attached 8-page document provides all the required information
- Submit an original surety bond here with the license fee after passing the examination.
- Here is the State website for Residential Contractors
Exam and Application:
You have 360 minutes to complete the exam, there are 110 questions and you are required to answer 77 questions (70%) correctly to pass the exam. This examination is limited to construction, remodeling, repair or improvement of one-, two-, or multifamily residences not exceeding three stories in height and/or 16 units in any single apartment building.
The Subject Area of the exam covers:
General Building Construction (74 Items)
- General Carpentry
- Concrete & Reinforcement
- Estimating and Plan Reading
- Masonry e. Roofing
- Site Work, Footings and Foundations
Residential Electrical (12 Items)
- Services/Feeders/Branch Circuits
- Overcurrent Protection
- Grounding and Bonding
- Conductors and Cables
- Raceways and Boxes
- Lighting and Specialty Applications
Residential HVAC (12 Items)
- Hangars and Supports
- Furnaces and Heaters
- Ducts, Ventilation and Exhaust
- Fuel Gas and Oil
Residential Plumbing (12 Items)
- General Plumbing and Regulations
- Fixtures and Equipment
- Water Supply
- Drain/Waste and Vents/Sewers
- Specialty Applications
PSI Candidate Information Bulletin: SC Residential
You Can Purchase the Book Bundle Here:
The South Carolina Business, Law and Project Management exam is required by the South Carolina Board for Contractors in addition to the specialty exam.