Virginia Plumber Exam Prep Services & Materials
We offer everything you need to prepare for the Virginia Master Plumber and Virginia Journeyman Plumber Exams at PSI.
To prepare for the exam, you will need the required reference manual and tabs as well as our exam prep course. We also give the option to purchase a pre-tabbed and highlighted reference manual, saving you valuable hours of highlighting the information within the book yourself.
All applicants must apply to the state prior to registering with PSI for an examination.
You can find the Virginia Tradesman license application at DPOR's website here.
Virginia Plumber License:
Per DPOR, “Plumbing work” includes the installation, maintenance, extension, or alteration or removal of piping, fixtures, appliances, and appurtenances in connection with any of the following:
Backflow prevention devices; Boilers; Domestic sprinklers; Hot water baseboard heating systems; Hydronic heating systems; Process piping; Public/private water supply systems within or adjacent to any building, structure or conveyance; Sanitary or storm drainage facilities; Steam heating systems; Storage tanks incidental to the installation of related systems; Venting systems; or Water heaters.
Plumbing tradesmen may also install, maintain, extend or alter the following:
1. Liquid waste systems; 2. Sewerage systems;
3. Stormwater systems; 4. Water supply systems.
“Master” means a person who possesses the necessary ability, proficiency, and qualifications to plan and lay out the details for installation and supervise the work of installing, repairing and maintaining specific types of materials and equipment utilizing a working knowledge sufficient to comply with the pertinent provisions of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.
“Journeyman” means a person who possesses the necessary ability, proficiency, and qualifications to install, repair and maintain specific types of materials and equipment, utilizing a working knowledge sufficient to comply with the pertinent provisions of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and according to plans and specifications.
About Our Products and Services
We know obtaining a tradesman's license is a complicated process. We're here to simplify the process as much as possible - and with our proven-effective study techniques and proprietary study materials, we can help set you up for success in the exams.
What You'll Need to Prepare for the Exam
Exam Prep Course
Our online pre-recorded exam prep course will prepare you for the Virginia Master Plumber and Journeyman Plumber Exams at PSI. Courses are delivered digitally and you have access immediately upon purchase. Pre-Recorded content includes highlighting instructions and practice exam questions for each book.See More
The Virginia Plumber Exam is open-book. You may bring the approved references into the exam with you. We offer the necessary reference manuals to prepare for the exam and offer a pre-tabbed and highlighted option to save you hours of tabbing and highlighting the books yourself!See More
Our exam prep tabs help mark the commonly referenced sections of the books used in the exam. Don't waste time flipping through your books in the timed exam - our tabs help you to be able to quickly reference important material in your books and move on to the next question without wasting valuable time.See More
What is on the Exam?
|# of Questions||Minimum Passing Score||Time Allowed|
|80||60 (75%)||210 minutes|
|Subject Area||# of items|
|Standards of Practice||3|
|Standards of Conduct||2|
|Renewal and Reinstatement||2|
|Qualification for Licensure||1|
|Revocation of Licensure||1|
|Drainage Waste and Vents||24|
|Water Supply Systems||10|
|Storm Drainage Systems||10|
|Interceptors and Traps||4|
You can also refer to the PSI Candidate Information Bulletin here for more information on testing policies.
Requirements for Master Applicants:
Master Plumber Applicants must furnish evidence that one of the following experience and education standards has been attained: one year of experience as a licensed journeyman;
Alternative experience for Master applicants:
- On or after July 1, 1995, an applicant with 10 years of practical experience in the trade, as verified by reference letters of experience from any of the following: building officials, building inspectors, current or former employers, contractors, engineers, architects or current or past clients, attesting to the applicant's work in the trade, may be granted permission to sit for the master's level examination without having to meet the educational requirements
Requirements for Journeyman Applicants:
Journeyman Plumber Applicants must furnish evidence that one of the following experience and education standards has been attained: Four years of practical experience in the trade and 240 hours of formal vocational training in the trade. Experience in excess of four years may be substituted for formal vocational training at a ratio of one year of experience for 80 hours of formal training, but not to exceed 200 hours.
Alternative experience for Journeyman applicants:
- An associate degree or a certificate of completion from at least a two-year program in a tradesman-related field from an accredited community college or technical school as evidenced by a transcript from the educational institution and two years of practical experience in the trade for which licensure is desired;
- A bachelor's degree received from an accredited college or university in an engineering curriculum related to the trade and one year of practical experience in the trade for which licensure is desired;
- On or after July 1, 1995, an applicant with 10 years of practical experience in the trade as verified by reference letters of experience from any of the following: building officials, building inspectors, current or former employers, contractors, engineers, architects or current or past clients attesting to the applicant’s work in the trade, may be granted permission to sit for the journeyman’s level examination without having to meet the educational requirements
Important Facts to Know Before Applying
To become a Plumbing Contractor and pull permits, A Master Plumber must meet the business law requirements for contractors in addition to passing the Master Plumber exam.
All Virginia Contractor Applicants are still required to meet other state licensing regulations in order to obtain a license. All applicants must complete the Mandatory 8-Hour Pre-License Course and submit a license application to DPOR. Class A and Class B Applicants must also take and pass an additional business law exam before submitting a license application to DPOR.
Haven't taken the mandatory 8-Hour Pre-License Course? Get started today on our partner site, Virginia Exam Training!
All individuals applying for a tradesman’s license or individual certification must submit an application directly to the Board for Contractors (DPOR) before taking any required examination.
Once the applicant is approved to take the examination, exams can be scheduled by registering at candidate.psiexams.com.
The Virginia Master Plumber Exam costs $125.00.
The Virginia Journeyman Plumber Exam costs $100.00.
All exam fees are due to PSI.
The Tradesman License Application is available on the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR)'s website, linked here.