Exam Prep Course
Mississippi Building Construction Exam Prep Course
- Course Duration: 7 Hours
- Course Type: In-Class / Live Webinar $349; Online Pre-Recorded $249
- Books Required: 11
Mississippi Building Construction Contractor Exam Prep Course
Note: MS applicants taking the Building Construction exam have a choice of trade exams. They can elect to take either the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors which is accepted by multiple state agencies or the MSBOC Building Construction state specific exam. There are differences in these exams. See the additional information outlined in the Candidate Information Bulletin for each exam to compare the differences and determine which exam best fits your business needs.
All Mississippi Contractor Applicants will also need to take and pass the Mississippi Business and Law exam.
Exam Prep Class:
This class will prepare you to take the Mississippi Building Construction exam at PSI. We cover all the pertinent material within the references that you are allowed to bring into the exam. The pre-recorded content included with all class purchases also includes practice exam questions and answers to prepare you to take the timed exam.
Class Days and Times:
This prep course is available in three options: Pre-Recorded, Live In-Class, and Live-Streamed Webinar.
The online pre-recorded content is included with the purchase of any live course to serve as a follow-up study material. Pre-Recorded content includes highlighting instructions and practice exam questions for each book.
Pre-Recorded classes are available to you immediately upon purchase and can be completed at your own time and pace.
Live Classes are a one-day intensive prep course, held on:
8:30 am ET – 3:30 pm ET
webinar access time
Online Content is available for 180 days after purchase. To extend content access an additional 180 days, a $50 course extension fee is required. If you have any questions, please contact our support team.
The exam at PSI is open-book. You may bring the approved references into the exam, and reference manuals may be tabbed and highlighted. Tabs must be permanent adhesive tabs - removable tabs such as post-its are not allowed in the examination center.
The approved references for the exam include:
- International Building Code, 2012, International Code Council
- Code of Federal Regulations - 29 CFR Part 1926 (OSHA), with latest available amendments
- Technical Digest No. 9 – Handling and Erection of Steel Joists and Joist Girders, 3rd Edition
- Carpentry and Building Construction, 2010 or 2016 (Student Edition)
- Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures, 15th Edition
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting, Dave Roberts, 2011
- Roofing Construction & Estimating, 1995
- State of Mississippi Regulation of Excavation, Chapter 13 Regulation of Excavations Near Underground Utility Facilities
- Training and Certification of Field Personnel for Unbonded Post-Tensioning - Level 1 Field Fundamentals, 2003, 3rd Edition.
- Modern Masonry - Brick, Block, Stone, Clois E. Kicklighter, 8th edition (2015).
- Placing Reinforcing Bars, Recommended Practices, 10th edition
Other Licensing Requirements
All Mississippi contractor applicants are still required to meet other state licensing regulations in order to obtain a license in Mississippi.
These requirements include taking the State Business Law Exam and submitting a State Board Contractor License Application. We offer exam prep services for the Mississippi Law and Business Exam, as well as License Application Fulfillment Services.
Exam Subject Areas
What is on the Exam?
|# of Questions||Minimum Passing Score||Time Allowed|
|80||56 (70%)||180 minutes|
|Subject Area||# of questions|
|Thermal and Moisture Protection||7|
|Doors and Windows||3|
|General Code, Plan Reading, and Estimating||15|
|Mississippi One Call||3|
You can also refer to the PSI Candidate Information Bulletin here for more information on testing policies