North Carolina Highway License Exam Prep Class - In-Class and via Live Webinar
North Carolina Highway Contractors License Exam Prep Course
This class will prepare you to take the North Carolina Highway Contractors Licensing Exam. We review all the areas of the test that you are expected to be familiar with and highlight the areas of the books and manuals so that you can find the material in the books quickly and efficiently in the exam. We coach you on the logic for how to navigate the test, how to review the questions, quickly recognize the book to reference and how to hone in on the section to validate the right answers. (There is a logic to how to properly manage the test.)If you are attending a live class, this does not require shipping, please select 'Attending in Class - No shipping' when making the purchase. We will bring the study material to the class. If you are taking a webinar class or online class, please select shipping method. We also offer a 50% buy-back of books after you take the exam.
These times are for In-Class Richmond, Virginia or Live Webinar students:
NC HIGHWAY CONTRACTOR SCOPE OF WORK
This classification covers all highway construction activity including: grading, paving of all types, installation of exterior artificial athletic surfaces, relocation of public and private utility lines ancillary to the principal project, bridge construction and repair, culvert construction and repair, parking decks, sidewalks, curbs, gutters and storm drainage. It also includes installation and erection of guard rails, fencing, signage and ancillary highway hardware; covers paving and grading of airport and air-field runways, taxiways, and aprons, including the installation of fencing, signage, runway lighting and marking; and work done under the specialty classifications of S(Boring and Tunneling), S(Concrete Construction), S(Marine Construction), S(Railroad Construction), and H(Grading and Excavating).
For more information on the Building Classification and obtaining your Contractor's License in North Carolina follow the link by clicking onto North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contrators
The reference material listed below was used to prepare the questions for this examination. The examination may also contain questions based on trade knowledge or general industry practices. Except for Code books, you can base your answers on later editions of references as they become available. For Code questions, the examinations will be based only on the edition of the Code book that is listed.
Candidates may use a silent, non-printing, non-programmable calculator in the examination center. Candidates will also be provided with a magnifying glass upon request.
This examination is OPEN BOOK.
The following reference materials are allowed in the examination center:
Sports Fields Design, Construction and Maintenance, Second Edition, 2010, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (800) 762-2974, www.wiley.com
Contractor’s Guide to Business, Law and Project Management - North Carolina General Contractors Edition, 7th Edition, National Association of State Contractors Licensing Agencies (NASCLA), 23309 N. 17th Drive, Phoenix, Arizona 85027, Telephone: (623) 587-9519, Fax: (623) 587- 9625, www.nascla.org. (See order form at the end of this bulletin.)
NorthCarolina Standard Specifications for Roads and Structures, 2006 (use 2012 edition beginning August 13, 2015), North Carolina Department of Transportation, 1500 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27612, (877) 368-4968, www.ncdot.org/doh/preconstruct/ps/specifications/englis h/2006.html
North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry, with latest available amendments, North Carolina Department of Labor, Division of Occupational Safety and Health, Bureau of Education, Training and Technical Assistance, 111 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27601-1092 (if you are planning to pick up the reference, you must call first), 919-807-2875 or 800-NC- LABOR, www.nclabor.com
Construction Planning, Equipment, and Methods, 8th Edition, Peurifoy, Robert L., P.E., McGraw-Hill, P.O. Box 182605, Columbus, OH 43218-2605, (800) 338-3987, www.McGraw-hill.com.
CAMA Handbook for Development of Coastal North Carolina, 2007, www.nccoastalmanagement.net. You may bring this book into the testing center with you as long as it is bound. You can have it spiral bound or hole punch it and put it in a binder.
The following reference materials are NOT ALLOWED in the examination center but may help you in preparing for the exam:
- North Carolina Administrative Code, Title 15A, Chapter 4 Sedimentation Control, as amended July 1, 2000, Sedimentation Control Commission, Archdale Building, 512 N. Salisbury Street, P.O. Box 27687, Raleigh, NC 27611, www.dlr.enr.state.nc.us/images/sedimentrules.doc
- North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 113A, Article 4 Sedimentation Pollution Control Act of 1973, as amended through October 2002, Sections 113A-50 to 113A-67, inclusive, www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySecti on/Chapter_113A/GS_113A-4.html
- North Carolina One-Call Center Excavation Manual, North Carolina One-Call Center, (800) 632-4949, http://www2.ncocc.org/ncocc/PDFs/Excavation_English.pdf
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting, Dave Roberts, 2011, Craftsman Book Company, (800) 829-8123, www.craftsman- book.com/products.
- Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures, 15th edition, 2011, Steven H. Kosmatka, William C. Panarese, Portland Cement Association, 5420 Old Orchard Road, Skokie, Il 60077-1083, 847-966-6200, www.portcem.org
- Hot-Mix Asphalt Paving Handbook (MAPH-2), 2000, AASHTO Publications, 444 North Capitol Street, NW, Suite 249, Washington, DC 20001, (202) 624-5800, email@example.com
- Laws and Regulations Applicable to General Contracting in the State of North Carolina, North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors, P.O. Box 17187, Raleigh, NC 27619-7987, (919) 571-4183, www.nclbgc.org
- Placing Reinforcing Bars, Recommended Practices, 2011, 9th edition, Author- Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute, Publisher- Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute, 933 North Plum Grove Rd, Schaumburg, IL 60173, Phone (800) 328- 6306, www.crsi.org
- Instructional Manual for Training and Certification of Field Personel for Unbonded Post-Tensioning, 3rd Edition, 2003, Post-Tensioning Institute, 8601 North Black Canyon Highway, Suite 103, Phoenix, AZ 85021, (602) 870-7540, www.post-tensioning.org
- Jacked Tunnel Design and Construction, 1998, Boscardin, Marco D., American Society of Civil Engineers, 1801 Alexander Bell Drive, Reston, VA 20191-4400, (800) 548- 2723, www.asce.org.
- The Practical Guide to Railway Engineering, 2nd Edition, 2003, Division of Coastal Management, NC Department
Please click on the link to purchase the text books: North Carolina Book Bundles
Register for the exam. by Going to PSI's exam registration page.
THE PSI EXAM CONSISTS OF:
# of Questions
% Required to Pass
# of Items
Paving - Asphalt
Excavation and Grading
Metals Including Concrete Reinforcement
Erosion and Sedimentation Control
Business and Law